In today’s episode, Phil sits down with Film Maker and ex-Manchester United Youth Player Rhodri Jones. They talk about Rhodri’s time during his scholarship with Manchester United at such a successful time in the club’s history. Rhodri talks about the struggles he faced after being cut from the team, and how he eventually got through it to become the film maker he is today.
- Rhodri’s upbringing, background, and how he went on to get signed for Manchester United at a young age.
- If you always have to push yourself to do something and be disciplined with it you should question whether you should be doing it.
- How sacrifices don’t feel like sacrifices when you are really committed to something.
- How everyone has a calling, it’s just a matter of finding it.
- Rhodri’s experience having a scholarship at Manchester United during such a successful period in the club’s history.
- How the club focused a lot on physical testing and checkup but not at all on psychological testing.
- The psychological effects Rhodri experienced after getting an injury, and how this led to him eventually losing his scholarship.
- The need for support for the many kids who go through this.
- Rhodri’s experience after losing his scholarship and how he went on to rip up his contract with his manager at Rotherham.
- Rhodri’s internal feelings of worthlessness, even in his current career as a filmmaker, since this has happened to him.
- Phil’s experience at Cardiff City, which was very similar to Rhodri’s, and how he went to thank his coaches after getting cut.
- Rhodri’s experience speaking to Ferguson about not having his contract extended.
- How businesses aren’t that good with dealing with the psychological side of management as well.
- The dark thoughts Rhodri was getting during that bad period of his life and his methods for dealing with it, specifically Meditation and talking to people.
- How at the end of the day; friends, family, and being of service to others is all that matters to Rhodri.
- Rhodri’s plans for the future; the book he is writing about his grandad and his plans to start up a coaching business.
Rhodri Jone’s Bio: https://regantalentgroup.co.uk/portfolio_page/rhodri-jones/
Rhodri Jone’s Story: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/teenager-signed-man-utd-rhodri-17462357